drupal views rewrite output to invalid markup
While I was testing the fmag.gr with the w3c validators, I saw several errors about
<h2> and <h5>
elements that where inside <a hrefs. I immediately spotted the problem on the node titles.
More specific: page views at fmag.gr are using fields. The field "node title" has a rewritten output to
and the "link to full node" checked.
Further investigation revealed that views module "links to full node" the whole "rewritten output" and not just the variable [title]. Therefore, the html output was
1. Use the semantic views module http://drupal.org/project/semanticviews - http://adaptivethemes.com/semantic-views-module-for-drupal-6-video-tutorial
2. Do not use another module just for this
- Edit your view and go to fields, edit Node:Title
- Copy the text as is and uncheck the Rewrite output
- Check the Exclude from display and update
- Add new field > select Global > Global: Custom text
- Paste text and update
- Rearrange fields
- Go to Basic Settings and click theme: information
- Select Row style output > Copy the whole text and press ok > Save your view
- Create an new file "views-view-fields.tpl.php" into your theme root directory and paste the code
<<?php print $field->element_type; ?> class="field-content"><?php print $field->content; ?></<?php print $field->element_type; ?>>
an replace with
<?php print $field->content; ?>
- htmlTidy again and save (plus upload if you don't edit remotely)
- Go to your Drupal Administrative Panel and flush all caches.
For every row of field-content "views" were adding a . An <h> element inside <span> is invalid. Now, spans are eliminated and everything validates correctly.